[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Dec 2 01:00:19 UTC 2006

Geoff Teale wrote:
>> Argh!!!!! No,.    Please stop propagating this myth.  It's the worst
>> kind of propaganda.
>>
>> POSIX is an API standard (or rather a collection of them).  By
>> definition it does not mandate that any particular application is
>> available, only that libraries and headers with standard names and
>> standard functions are made available to programmers.
> I immediately retract that statement, VI was added to the utilities
> (effectively the Shell API standard) and exists in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001.
>
> I should think before I speak...!

Carrying on my monologue.   You can see the current standard here:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/toc.htm

This doesn't represent what was POSIX (an older standard) but the open
groups evolution from that baseline and the Single Unix Definition.
Having a brief look through it however I note I don't know a single
Linux distro that would meet this standard.   Who for example has uux
and c99 commands to hand in their terminal (yes there are equivalents,
but not those commands)?

--
Geoff Teale
<tealeg at member.fsf.org>