[Sussex] external hard drive problem (again)

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Dec 24 10:26:51 UTC 2006

Hi list,

A while ago, when I first got this external hard drive and case combo, I had
to take it to the BCF as I couldn't suss out how I should configure it.

I've completely forgotten how it's done.

Steve D, from what I can recall, connected it to his laptop, but to get the
login/password page, had to change his NIC config so that it was the same as
the factory setting for the case.

I've been trying this without any success.

If I plug the device in via USB my system (now Sidux/Debian SID) will see it
and put an icon on the desktop, I can (AFAIK) look at the device, which shows
me 2 folders and 2 files.

When I manage to connect it via ethernet, I have to change the NIC settings
(though whether I'm actually doing this so the device is "happy", I'm not
sure) then try to connect via a browser - when it actually lets me in (having
already followed it's instructions to reset it to the factory defaults) it
seems to only let me into a "firmware upgrade" page - I've tried downloading
the firmware and telling it to upload it, which it seems to be starting to do
but then just seems to hang with the timer/cursor showing.

When I looked into it while connected via USB, I noticed that the
files/folders seem to be owned by root, so I've even changed my system to
allow graphical root logins (I can't recall/don't know the commands to try to
manage the device using CLI), but this hasn't made any difference.

The device is one of these :
http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/pleiades/pd_usblan

My brother suggests that there might be a way of finding out what system the
device is running, but I don't recall what he said (or understood, as he
speaks a different dialect of nerd/geek i.e. rpm ;-P ).

So could anyone suggest how I might access the device so as to change it to my
local IP and login/password choices and actually be able to try to use it to
make backups ?

Seasons greetings etc.

regards

John D.