[Sussex] Sendmail to Exim routing

brougham Baker bro-linux at brougham.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 03:08:52 UTC 2006

I'm looking at getting a VPS as my email reception seems to be a little
unreliable of late. I've checked the syn packets at my firewall and
everything that gets here is handled properly, it's just not getting here.

The VPS I'm looking at will probably be running Debian and Exim- I've never
used Exim before. I am going to set this box as the highest priority MX so
that most legitimate mail will be sent there. I need to get Exim to forwards
everything it sees to another lower priority box.

I found this for Sendmail- in the mailertable put
example.org esmtp:[mail.example.org]
.example.org esmtp:[mail.example.org]

I asked on another list and was told to google for smarthosting? Is this the
same thing?

Another link gave-
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/exim-mta-how-do-i-route-or-relaying-via-a-smarthost.html
which gave
http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/presentations/email-routing/img15.html

And then I started to kick myself- I saw the Sussex LUG logo and Steve
Dobson's name at the bottom. I knew I should get off my lasy backside and
come to the meets.

Will this do what I want?

smarthost:
driver = manualroute
domains = *
transport = remote_smtp
route_data = “mta3.somewhere.com”

--
Bro

"I'm sick and tired of hearing that 'health and safety' is stopping people
doing worthwhile and enjoyable things. If you're using health and safety to
stop everyday activities, get a life and let others get on with theirs."
Bill Callaghan (UK Health and Safety Commission chair)