[Sussex] Some "Time" questions

John David Thompson jdthompson at themutual.net
Sat Dec 30 16:31:24 UTC 2006

OK Chaps,

I have a couple of simple questions concerning the "time" on my dual
boot laptop.  I know this is "an old chestnut" ad I'm sure it's an easy
one to answer.

I am booting Suse and Windows XP.  The clock is usually wrong by two or
three hours (and not exactly). For instance I am writing this at 16:07
but the computer clock says 13:47.  I have set-up the hardware clock in
Linux to "Local Time" which is what the Suse help panel suggests. Not UTC.

Perhaps I may have to do the same in windows (if possible).  I'll check
this.

It's not really a problem because I can contact a time server to update
the system clock.

Windows has a button built-in to set the clock from a timeserver.

In Linux, I open a terminal and run the following commands:-
su (password)
ntpdate bear.zoo.bt.co.uk
exit

Which works a treat! But...

Questions.  How can I use a simple script to automate the above so that
I can simply click an icon on my Linux desktop to set the clock?  Can
this script be given special permissions so that the root password is
not required?  Can someone write this script for me - 'cause I'm a thickie!!

I know there is a time service that I could run at boot - and I do this
on my "wired" desk P.C. (which is also dual boot).  The laptop, however,
is usually connected to the internet via a wireless link, which is not
connected until KDE starts (and not always then) - so I need manual control.

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you all,

John