[Sussex] Unbinding Apache from an IP

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 3 19:08:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 12:12 +0000, Al Bennett wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Firstly, sorry I wasn't at the last Moot, I was up in London sticking
> adverts to exhibition panels.  Much fun.
>
> I've got an unmanaged box somewhere in Texas that hosts a couple of domains.
> It's got four usable IPs assigned to it, I'd like one of them to not have
> Apache on port 80 so I can put something else there.  I've modified the
> apache config (attached - names and IP changed to protect the guilty and
> most of the virtual hosts trimmed out for legibility, they're all the same)
> but for the life of me I can't get apache to let go of this IP.  netstat -l
> still shows it bound to *:80

Have a look in the apache config files for a section that looks like
this:

# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, instead of the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 80

By default apache will listen on all ip addresses on port 80. Uncomment
and alter the Listen directive to suit your application, save and
restart apache. Be aware that any virtual server directives must match
the bound ip addresses, otherwise apache might throw a fit.

Hope this helps.

Steve Williams.