[Sussex] Need a new web host

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Mon Feb 6 11:51:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:45:55 +0000
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:

> yeah, I've also got a ByteMark VM. the only problem I have is with
> Spamassassin - it doesn't seem to play nicely on my machine -
> although this could be because the UML system has 64MB of RAM, and
> I'm trying to load 70+MB of rulesets... hmm.. ;)

They do 80MB RAM for the basic package now... don't know if you can
cajole them into giving you the extra??? :-)

I use amavisd-new to encapsulate both spamassassin checks and clamav /
bitdefender scans.  Had to remove one of the big rulesets because it
was hogging RAM and this was a 128MB machine so I'm not surprised
your 64MB was struggling. If you're using clamav, it happily filters out
some specific spam types (phishing, etc) so you can potentially slim
down some of your rulesets(?).

Greylisting was the biggy for me - very low resource cost and makes a
huge difference to your spam intake, with negligible inconvenience.
Tried it?

Cheers
--
Ronan