[Sussex] Internal PCI Hardware Modem - This is getting silly!

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed Feb 8 08:50:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 14:48:03 +0000
Desmond Armstrong <desmond.armstrong at gmail.com> wrote:

> Previously I used a US Robotics modem on my old machine. This uses
> ISA not PCI. I have the same frustration and am at a loss to
> understand why a winmodem should be described as hardware.I do still
> have the ISA HARDWARE cards so if these are helpful please let me
> know. In my book if it uses processing power from the CPU then it IS
> a winmodem. I do have the 536EP based PCI modem and this comes with
> Linux drivers but I have yet to make it work, but this is still a
> winmodem.

Ah the 536EP!  I'm a bit sick of those having been sent 10 (yes, 10) of
them over the past 2 months, each time being told they are hardware
modems!!!!!  AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!   Tried to get one to work,
which it does, sort of, but doesn't work with Hylafax.

I had a look for USR stuff but just couldn't find any controller based
models for sale anywhere.  Ebuyer / Novatech both do winmodem USRs.

What do I have to do... ?????
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com