[Sussex] Laptop update

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Feb 10 00:40:13 UTC 2006

I now have Linux running on the old Toshiba Satellite Pro 430 CDS I was
given the other week.

The person who showed such generosity in offering it to me found the
caddy that allows the floppy drive to be external, thus leaving the
CD-ROM drive in place.

I made a boot floppy for DamnSmallLinux & away it went. I have DSL on it
now but, although DSL is an excellent live CD, it seems to be in need of
some serious configuration to work as a HD installation. The most
annoying thing that DSL does is to overwrite /etc/fstab every time it
boots, so missing what I want to be my /home & swap partitions.

I shall give it until the weekend & if I haven't worked it out by then,
I shall install Debian.

Correction: Actually, I want to install Debian on the laptop because I
know I can get it up & running quite quickly.

Gavin.