[Sussex] Things that make you roll with tears of laughter.

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 14:48:27 UTC 2006

Nicholas Butler - Reduced Hackers Ltd wrote:
> I just bought one of those £299.00 ( vat and delivery included ) Dell
> inspiron 1300s. I figured it was a nice little robust simple work
> machine for slogging round to offices with . So anyway I get online to
> order direct and the sales guy has the nerve to suggest that the 256mb
> of ram in the machine will mean that my surfing of the internet will be
> slow because the pages will load much slower and that I should upgrade
> to 512mb .

Couple of points:

1. Dell sales droids get commission - so they'll push whatever they can
to you.

2. Dell don't support the use of Linux on the laptop, so they'll assume
you're going to be running the bundled XP - in which case, 256MB RAM and
512MB RAM will affect the page load time if said page has lots of
graphics/flash/Java/etc on it.

3. Dell make very little on the laptops themselves, they make all their
money on the extras.

4. I work very closely with Dell, so have to defend them ;)

Regards,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Technical Account Manager            office: +44 1483 300169