[Sussex] A little help with I18n on the web

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Jan 17 18:09:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:05:56PM +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> The Problem:
> ============

> I want the system to be I18n capable.  I want to get the locale info
> from the client's system when they connect so that I can server
> dates, number, etc... (as well as the text when I get the translations
> done) in the format for their locale.  i.e. The US gets it's broken
> date format, we get the proper one.

> So far I have done no I18n stuff in my code, I have tried some of the
> config on the applications server - nothing has done what I want.

> Q1: How do you configure Firefox to have a different locale?
>     (Couldn't find the menu option - is it a plugin, and if so
>      which one?)

The locale will only affect the local program.

What you want is (in 1.5) in:
	Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Edit Languages

It'll then generate an appropriate Accept-Language header (see
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.4 )

> On the application server I make try and set the locale from the
> request, but all I get is "null".

> Q3: Is there something I need to do to get Apache to forward the
> locale on to the app server?

For CGI then it's put in HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE.

But the w3 link will let you understand the format.

heh, good sigmonster *pats*

Simon

--
... "Mais bouilli avec de la sauce à la menthe, Astérix !  Pauvre bête
    !" - Obélix - Astérix chez les Bretons.