[Sussex] [OT] Running a server from home

Rob Malpass rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jan 21 00:41:14 UTC 2006

Hi all

Can someone please fill in gap in my knowledge (one of many!)?

I want to run a server from home that I can access from anywhere - a fairly
bold step for a novice like me.   Security issues, notwithstanding, I need
to know how to do this.

I can, for example, configure a box to run a web service and I think I know
enough to firewall it safely and so on.   However what I don't know is how I
access it from outside my LAN.   I've read up as much as I can but all I can
find out is:

1) I won't be able to access it as if it were part of my ISP's network due
to firewalls.
2) They won't like me using bandwidth without permission.
3) I need to register a domain name and have that domain name point at my
server.

It's 3) above I need some help with - how do I get at the damn thing once
I've set it up?   Surely if whatever domain is pointing at my home LAN,
that's my ISP's bandwidth too.
Now obviously I could just buy some webspace or use my own ISP account - but
one service I'll be running is a webcam so not sure how I go about putting
the feed from the webcam on the ISP.

Any advice for a beginner?

Cheers
Rob