[Sussex] [OT] Running a server from home

Nic Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Sat Jan 21 03:08:15 UTC 2006

Hi Rob

"Rob Malpass" <rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> I want to run a server from home that I can access from anywhere - a fairly
> bold step for a novice like me.   Security issues, notwithstanding, I need
> to know how to do this.
>
> I can, for example, configure a box to run a web service and I think I know
> enough to firewall it safely and so on.   However what I don't know is how I
> access it from outside my LAN.   I've read up as much as I can but all I can
> find out is:
>
> 1) I won't be able to access it as if it were part of my ISP's network due
> to firewalls.
> 2) They won't like me using bandwidth without permission.

Not so... the upload bandwidth (which is what you're using when people
pull from your lan) is your bandwidth that you are paying for.

You don't actually mention what sort of ISP connection you
have...  but lots and lots of people host small websites from ADSL
links. I do it myself.

> 3) I need to register a domain name and have that domain name point at my
> server.

You can register a domain with nominet and run your own domain name (DNS)
servers.

Or you can ask someone who already runs some DNS to do it for you. I
run my own DNS servers and could host a domain for you. So do other
people here.

What you *do* normally need is a fixed IP address and you have to ask
your ISP for one of those.

If they can't give you a fixed IP address (IP addresses normally
change once in a while) then you've 2 choices:

1. change ISP (to one who can give you a fixed IP)

2. use some sort of dynamic DNS - there are several of these sevices
   available on the net

> Now obviously I could just buy some webspace or use my own ISP account - but
> one service I'll be running is a webcam so not sure how I go about putting
> the feed from the webcam on the ISP.

Mostly a webcam just drops files into a directory. Normally an ISP
just gives you some filespace that you can ftp into...

thus you can normally do this with lftp or some other ftp client that
supports mirroring a directory.

It's a lot quicker than setting up your own box. Though you might want
to set up your own box simply as a learning experience.

Nic Ferrier