[Sussex] [OT] Running a server from home

Rob Malpass rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jan 21 14:26:11 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nic Ferrier" <nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk>
To: "LUG email list for the Sussex Counties" <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 2:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Sussex] [OT] Running a server from home

> Not so... the upload bandwidth (which is what you're using when people
> pull from your lan) is your bandwidth that you are paying for.
>
> You don't actually mention what sort of ISP connection you
> have...  but lots and lots of people host small websites from ADSL
> links. I do it myself.

I have 2Mb (downlink) and presumably 256kb uplink ADSL.   I also (am lucky
enough to) have 1Mb download and again presumably 256kb uplink cable.

>> 3) I need to register a domain name and have that domain name point at my
>> server.
>
> You can register a domain with nominet and run your own domain name (DNS)
> servers.
>
> Or you can ask someone who already runs some DNS to do it for you. I
> run my own DNS servers and could host a domain for you. So do other
> people here.
>

> What you *do* normally need is a fixed IP address and you have to ask
> your ISP for one of those.

I'm with Wanadoo - not sure what their policy is - I'll check.   I am with
ntlworld too.

> If they can't give you a fixed IP address (IP addresses normally
> change once in a while) then you've 2 choices:
>
> 1. change ISP (to one who can give you a fixed IP)
>
> 2. use some sort of dynamic DNS - there are several of these sevices
>   available on the net
>

>> Now obviously I could just buy some webspace or use my own ISP account -
>> but
>> one service I'll be running is a webcam so not sure how I go about
>> putting
>> the feed from the webcam on the ISP.
>
> Mostly a webcam just drops files into a directory. Normally an ISP
> just gives you some filespace that you can ftp into...

Oh - I didn't know that.   So is it not possible to stream using a webcam?
If it's as simple as the webcam just providing files, then all I need to do
(as you say) is get something to periodically upload them to my webspace and
bob's my uncle.

> thus you can normally do this with lftp or some other ftp client that
> supports mirroring a directory.
>
> It's a lot quicker than setting up your own box. Though you might want
> to set up your own box simply as a learning experience.

Thanks for this.   I had thought I'd be streaming - hence the thought of
having my own server.   However, come to think of it, one "photo" every 10
minutes - or even 10 seconds I guess should be fine for my purposes.

Any thoughts on the best tool for the job?   How do webcams work with (say)
Debian?   OTTOMH I think I'm on Woody.   I also run Slackware 10.1.

Cheers
Rob