[Sussex] Wifi wisdom required

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Sun Jan 22 12:31:36 UTC 2006

Gareth Ablett wrote:

> Considering that where I live has an upstairs and my sisters place is a
> bungalow as is all ther other houses between I sould be able to get a
> line of sight without to much problem. any idea what these antannas cost?

Commercial ones are probably a few 10s of pounds, however you can build
something yourself if you want, either the "pringles can antenna" (Google
for it) or something like this:

http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pub/antenne/13-double-quad.jpg

Remember that you are trying to establish a point to point link, so you will
need an access point at each end with directional antennas. Then some sort
of LAN to enable your sister to connect to the AP at her end.

Alternatively, you might find that an AP at your end with a directional
antenna pointing at your sisters house will give enough signal for a normal
WiFi card in her PC to work.

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good
with ketchup.