[Sussex] Mobile phone/organiser/pda device question(s)

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 16:41:29 UTC 2006

Richie Jarvis wrote:

<snip>

> Hi John,
>
> I can heartily recommend the Treo 650 - great device - I use it for my
> main phone.  However, Palm have just launched the Treo 700w (which is
> Windoze based) - what has this to do with Linux you might ask??  Well,
> rumours are that they are also planning to launch the Treo 700p, which
> will be PalmOS based, and Palmsource have committed to developing
> future versions on Linux (not that the 700p will be, unfortuantly.)
>
> The treo650 is available on Orange and Vodafone as well - check
> Expansys for the various deals and device costs for both networks.
>
> On the Linux device front - we have some cool HTC test devices which
> run X - but I am not supposed to talk about those ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richie

Thanks Richie,

I recall seeing someone with a Treo, but couldn't think who it was. I've
seen the apps (kpilot etc) that seem to refer to Palm Pilot devices, I'm
presuming that it should (alledgedly) be able to sync it considerably
more easily than anything Windows based (including the forthcoming 700
series).

I was guessing that as I don't need word processing/spread sheet apps,
it would probably do the job, though it appears that as it's GPRS based,
I'm still looking (in the short term), as I suspect that it would
probably be better for something 3G based. It's not as if I have to send
a huge amount of e-mail (as in mobile e-mail), but ease of use/sync with
whatever (probably have to start using evolution instead of thunderbird)
I end up using, will make life easier.

So it just depends on which "deal" I can get one on - probably Orange,
as it works better in our yard than the other networks (usually). I'll
keep an eye out for info on the 700p that you mentioned, but might not
be able to wait that long as I notice that the "christmas/autumn/winter
deals" will be finished soon.

Not too worry, if I do have to opt for the 650, it's got a few bits that
are considerably better than the XDA2s (battery life too start with).
Plus as it seems to be java compatible, I'm guessing I should be able to
get a couple of those cheapo games to run on it (already got a 1 gig SD
card). Shame it doesn't support oggs though (and definitely not FLAC) it
wouldn't be hard to re-rip a few tracks as ogg.

Ta for the info though. I'm not sure if I will be able to make the moot
so I'll probably see you about the list.

regards

John D.