[Sussex] [OT] Running a server from home

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 13:33:38 UTC 2006

Nic Ferrier wrote:

>>Any thoughts on the best tool for the job?
>

> If you search around I wouldn't be suprised if there aren't specific
> programs that can either handle the synchronization or handle the
> taking of pictures and uploading.
>
> But in fact it's very easy. Set the camera software to save into a
> particular directory and write a cron job to mirror the directory
> to your webserver every minute (or however often).

Look at camE - it was orignally an Englightenment Epplet, but IIRC it
works in standalone mode too. (It's been a good number of years since I
used it, btw). This can automagically send files via FTP to a specific
website, and works much better than just mirroring a directory.

(When you mirror a directory with FTP, its' possible for a client to get
only half a file, if the remote end is currently uploading as the client
is attempting to download the image. camE overcomes this by uploading to
an FTP site using a temporary name, then renaming the file).

Regards,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Technical Account Manager            office: +44 1483 300169