[Sussex] Video encoding under Linux

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:59:50 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience with encoding video on linux? There is a
chance that I might need to encode a lot (hundreds of hours!)) of
video material into an iPod friendly format as per this article this
http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/ipod-video.ars/

While using ffmpegX on a Mac seems straightforward I'd like look into
scalability as I have access to idle PC's overnight. So can someone
point me towards what I need to use and if it would be possible to
create a cluster/farm of machines to process all the encoding?

Otherwise, a nicely spec'd G5 with either ffmpegX, QuickTime Pro or
Media Cleaner will do the trick...

Thanks guys,
Diego