[Sussex] Distributed video encoding WAS: Video encoding under Linux

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 15:53:18 UTC 2006

On 27/01/06, Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

> I don't see why the encoding can't be farmed out.  I've run scripts
> like:
>     ssh user at romote cat /var/video/some-video | mplayer -
>
> And that works just fine.  So if mencode is what you need that you
> couldn't run it on a remote machine and then pipe the output into
> the software to store it to the IPod store.

Well, the idea is to leave a batch of say 10 half hour videos encoding
without human intervention. The advantage of using a cluster is that
more nodes can be added automatically and from what I have read from
openMosix you can boot spare machines of live cd's and they will
automatically be added to the cluster.

For example, Windows PCs outside of 9am-5pm could become nodes of the cluster!

I even recently read an article where someone managed to build a linux
distro which run as a Windows screen saver and was use as a node in a
cluster.