[Sussex] Laptop challenge

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 30 01:30:34 UTC 2006

I was given a free laptop yesterday (Sat.), which was nice.

I was just discussing computers with a musical friend & mentioned that I
was on the lookout for an old laptop so that I can have something
whereby I can jot things down during the day instead of having to wait
until evening all the time.

He disappeared & then returned with a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS,
which he said was no longer used & I was welcome to take it - he was
going to dispose of it otherwise.

He said he has got other bits for this laptop that he didn't have time
to search for yesterday, but hopefully this will include the floppy
drive & other bits.

I think that the floppy drive could be essential for my challenge of
getting Linux onto this fine little machine (120MHz Pentium, 16MB EDORAM
expandable to 48MB, 1.2GB HDD).

My ideal would be to have an installation of DamnSmallLinux, or maybe
Debian if I could slim it down enough.

I looked on the Toshiba website & they have a whole section devoted to
getting Linux onto their laptops & a mailing list. I was quite impressed
(not much on the above model, but there is a mailing list)

Has anyone here tried installing Linux onto this Toshiba model or
similar?

Gavin