[Sussex] Managing qemu instances

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Thu Jul 13 15:10:02 UTC 2006

Hi folks

A quick question.  I have a pal who is in the process of learning Linux
and I'm toying with the idea of setting up a qemu host on a machine at
home that he can ssh to and play with.  The good thing here is that I
could use a qcow image, maybe even in snapshot mode and if he messes it
up, I can rapidly restore his machine.  I'd also like to play around
with qemu to do some virtual hosting.

My question is, what's the best way to run the qemu instances?  Do I set
up a script that detachs itself from the console and then fires up each
instance?  I was thinking of using a ruby script and starting
ruby threads to spin off each qemu instance (assuming I might have 2 or
three going - wouldn't be more than that). I obviously don't want to be
starting them manually and leaving terminals open.  Anyone got any hints
or thoughts on running a set of processes outside a terminal session like
this?

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.