UML filesystems (was Re: [Sussex] Managing qemu instances)

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Jul 14 09:31:39 UTC 2006

Nik

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 18:40 +0100, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> While we're on the subject of virtualization... do people here think
> that a site offering free downloads of filesystems with various
> preconfigured stuff in would be interesting?
>
> I'm think of things that are normally a pain to configure like:
>
>   gforge
>   asterisk at home
>   mythtv
>   powerdns/ldap/mysql/postgresql/etc...
>
> If one can download a working filesystem then one can either:
>
> - use it to soup up your native OS
> - run services directly inside the OS via chroot
> - run a UML on the file system
>
> Anybody interested in such a thing?

An intresting idea.  How are you going to tackle applications that have
configuration and other files that are spread over multiple file
systems?

I am one of those people that break their disks into a number of
filesystems.  It is standard for me to have a separate filesystem
for /, /usr, /var, and /home.  It is a good standard these days that all
configuration files live in /etc/<application>/ (it make them easy to
find).  I also like having variable data files (like the database files
for mySQL) in /var/<somewhere>.  So how are you going to layout the
filesystem images?