[Sussex] Two operating systems & one camera...

Geoffrey J Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Fri Jul 14 13:52:26 UTC 2006

http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php?title=pursuing_the_mythical_windows

 > It's not a huge list yet, but it does make it clear that Windows isn't
 > the uber-friendly, even-your-grannie-can-use-it-instantly OS that some
 > of its fans say it is. . .

The beauty of the digital camera market is that it's broadly
standardised in terms of it's comms (USB mass storage and PictBridge
being the main players).

What you will find is that several higher functioning cameras come with
extra control software that only works with Windows.  It's that kind of
issue (the disk in the box with the gadget) that tends to convince
people that Windows is easier than Linux.

Moreover people are far more tolerant of problems in software they are
used to than in "alternative" software.  I've seen this with OOo vs. Ms
Office.  Users indulge in all manner of work arounds, kludges and even
the application of patches - yet they'll scream the first time they
can't find a menu option in OOo.

Human nature is an interesting thing!

--
G. J. Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
M +44(0)7914 850 491
E gteale at cmedresearch.com