[Sussex] Two operating systems & one camera...

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Fri Jul 14 18:53:40 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 08:43, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> My experiences are the same, the use of digital cameras on Linux is much
> better than on Windows.
> We have flphoto, the gimp, kuickshow and many other user friendly
> programs available to us.
> Recently I encountered a very cheap camera which would not work under
> Linux, but that is the exception, all decent ones do work very well.
> Now that win98 can no longer be updated we must move on and Linux is the
> ONLY way forward.
Well, I have to say that I was quite surprised when I connected my partners
camera (fujifilm F810) last year.

I'd done a bit of reading and expected to have to mess about, but the Mandriva
that I was using then just saw it no problem. It is a little weird though as
it see's the device and gives it an icon but it does insist on calling the
memory card something like /dev/dcim or similar. As opposed to just seeing it
as a removable media device (though in truth, thats just how it might
actually be seeing it - I haven't bothered to find out).

So what with the recent news of W98 final demise, I've already said to Clare
about putting linux on her laptop. I just need to find out how to get
her "Creative Zen Touch" to work with Gnomad - and whether it will support
Ogg-Vorbis or not.

She was a little resistant to Open Office initially, but she will now do most
of what she was doing with MSO 2K before, I just have to work out how to do
the other bits and pieces (like making background watermarks etc). Otherwise
it's not really an issue.

Granted, we are enjoying the benefits of the latest Kubuntu release, which
has, for me, a few annoying anomalies (how the hell do I get rid or sudo, or
at least relegate it to the background so I can use the system in the
traditional "root/user" method ???). She seems to be starting to realise that
it's got "bog all" to do with the OS, and more to do with the application(s).

Anyhow, after that "ramble", as self proclaimed "LUG nugget" I concur, very
much, with Gavin.

regards

John D.