[Sussex] Two operating systems & one camera...

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Jul 14 23:26:25 UTC 2006

Paul,

> By no means wishing to defend Windows on a Linux list, but the
> comaprison, I suspect, is not a strictly fair one, and to my mind when
> making comparisons with the view of singing the praises of Linux you
> need to be whiter than white.

A sound point, but with 70 million users worldwide, the comparison of
Win98 to Debian Sarge is, I feel, a valid, real-world test.

> Windows 98 is around 8 years old now in terms of technology, even with
> patches and updates (which seem to slow it down and make it less
> reliable imho), whereas I suspect you are running the latest version
> of Debian, likely even Testing or Unstable. If you compared a version
> of Debian that was around at the time Windows 98 was launched or used
> Windows XP on the Windows side (still old, but the latest version
> Microsoft has to offer) then the comparison would be quite different.

Very true. The difference here being that every time a new version of
Debian was released between then & now, the cost to the user was no more
than the cost of a new set of CDs or download time.

Whatever Debian was like in 1998, it is now a very friendly & capable
OS.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Gavin.