[Sussex] Debian AMD64 installer with newer kernel?

Al Bennett al at plasticfish.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 11:11:20 UTC 2006

Hi Guys

I'm trying to install 64bit Debian Sarge onto a new AMD box I've built.
Problem is everything's built onto the nVidia chipset motherboard and is all
a bit too new.  Specifically the SATA and network controllers aren't picked
up by the stock AMD64 netinst which is a bit of a problem when the two
things you want to do are download stuff off a network and put it onto a
hard disk...

I think my hardware is supported in kernel 2.6.15+, there seem to be some
unofficial i386 ISOs with newer kernels around but I can't find an AMD64 one
with a recent kernel.  Does anyone know of one?  Or am I barking up the
wrong tree entirely?

I could throw an ATA disk and NE2K compatible card in for the install and
then copy the partitions over but it seems awkward.

Many thanks

See you tomorrow, for my last Moot before I move north of the border!

Al