[Sussex] reformatting a Linspire.

Paul Howard paul.howard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 22:03:12 UTC 2006

On 7/26/06, Desmond Armstrong <desmond.armstrong at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have in hand a machine with Linspire installed.
> As the system is locked to the Linspire at some cost we wish to reformat
> and to install a more sensible Linux. You  cannot install even
> OpenOffice.org.
> The system does not accept rpm, very fundamental to any system.
> I have so far failed in my attempts to reformat the drive  (200gig
> Maxtor SATA).
> Has anybody encountered this problem? and is there some knowledge of how
> to deal with it?

Errrrrrr  Linspire comes with Openoffice preinstalled so you won't need to
install it. It is based on Debian so you are correct , it won't use RPMs but
DEBs as a standard install package, but you can use Alien to convert them
RPMs to DEBs.

How are you trying to format the drive? If you are installing a "more
sensible linux" then surely it has drive partitioning software as part of
the install process?

sorry - your email sounded like Linspire bashing and most people who do that
either a) haven't tried it or b) don't get it!

--
Paul Howard

t: +44 (0)1293 738158
m: +44 (0)7771 512312