[Sussex] A little cleaning advice

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Jul 29 13:23:29 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 11:18, Steven Dobson wrote:
> Hi All
>
> My lappie and a bottle of shampoo had a little comming together.  Since
> the accident I haven't switched on my lappie for fear of more damage.
> The lappie is old, so it is not worth sending it away for repair, but a
> little TLC on my part may get it working again.
>
> I've opened the thing up and have found a little residue on the boards.
> Has anyone a suggetion of a cleaning agent I could use to remove it.
>
> Ta for your help
Further to other suggestions Steve, if you can remove the shampoo as
previously recommended, should you experience any sticking of
switches/buttons, then you should be able to get non-oil based switch
cleaner - which I believe is acetone based (similar to nail polish remover -
smells of pear drops).

Don't underestimate how much water you may require to remove the shampoo -
just think of how much rinsing it can need to remove said, from head (Ha! not
in my case ;-0 ).

It might be worth considering de-ionised water (or boiled and then cooled) for
the washing part - it's less likely to leave water drying marks/deposits.
Plus if you have some form of forced air blower that can provide cool air,
then in the current weather, it should be reasonably problem free.

Good luck

John D.