[Sussex] Content Management System advice please!

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Tue Jun 13 09:50:10 UTC 2006

Morning all,

the diving club I'm a member of has asked me to set up a club web page
for them. I've grudgingly agreed to do it (done it before, didn't want
to get lumbered with it again) on the understanding that I will *not*
be maintaining it after setting it up.

I was originally hoping that I could just show somebody how to use NVU
or the like so they could just update the thing manually every now &
again. But the list of "Can we have..?" requests got a little bit big
for that...

So what I'd ideally like to set up is a website that has a calendar
that shows planned trips, with the ability for users to add new trips
& sign up for existing ones; some sort of blogging software for trip
reports to be published; a mailing list that people can subscribe &
unsubscribe to themselves (it's all done by hand right now); and a
password-protected area for the internal club stuff we don't want
non-members to be able to access.

And all done via an interface that I can teach a bunch of non-geeks to
admin easily, and that a typical new member can sign up for without
any trouble.

Not something I've had to do before: I usually only set up a webpage
for me to modify & other people to look at. But there seem to be a
whole bunch of CMS things installable via Fantastico on most hosting
services that say they'll do the job.

So many, in fact, that I haven't the faintest idea which one to
actually install. Drupal, Geeklog, Joomla, Mambo Open Source,
PHP-Nuke, phpWCMS, phpWebSite, Post-Nuke, TYPO3, Xoops... The list
goes on & on!

So: Can anybody give me some advice on what would best meet the needs
listed above? Their web pages aren't very helpful & I can't face
installing them one-by-one to evaluate them each in turn...

Cheers!

Dominic