[Sussex] Install via NFS

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Wed Jun 21 06:51:29 UTC 2006

Gavin Stevens wrote:

> I am quietly confident that at least one person will be honest & say
> that they are unlikely ever to use it. I'll let you know.

Thank you.

> So is "booting over the network" different from using NFS?

Yes, "booting over the network" means that the bootstrap knows about a boot
server which contains a special format "boot image".

"NFS" is a standard format Network File System, the bootstrap needs to be
able to see this across the network as a normal hard drive.

In the first case there is a file somewhere on a Network server that
contains a kernel and other startup files. In the second case there is a
complete filesystem (everything from / downwards) available which will be
used to run the system after boot as well.

I've never actually played with this, but will be doing so soon for some
embedded hardware I'm experimenting with for work.

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Try to learn from other people's mistakes, you haven't time to make them all
yourself! - Anon