[Sussex] A little translation please

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Jun 23 10:12:48 UTC 2006

Andy

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 09:28 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:56:30AM +0100, Steven Dobson wrote:
> > There are currently 180 e-mail addresses (I just checked) signed up to
> > the SLUG mail-list, now some of those will be duplicates as some sign up
> > their work and home e-mails, but there must be a number of our members
> > some who speak German, French and others languages resonably well.
>
> Cool; any that are left, some of them should be able to do my
> ironing also.  There are 180 of you after all.
>
> (point is, maybe you should be asking actual users of your software,
> or paying someone; software translation is possibly the most boring
> job after ironing)

Do you get the FOSS idea, Alan?  Did you personally pay anything to
Linus Torvalds, Alan Cox, RMS and all the of millons and millons of
other software developers that have spent their time and skill to
produce the software that you use?

I have been on this list for years now.  I've given far more than I've
taken.  If I see an unanswered question that I can help with I reply,
some times I add to the answers of others, and I do this with no thought
of charging.

So why now, when _I_ lack a skill, when _I_ need help, should _I_ have
to pay?  Why can I not ask for help from those I've help in the past?

For me the FOSS movement is not about giving software away for free, it
is all about helping each other out.  Together we are much greater than
the sum of our parts.