[Sussex] Laptop update & question

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Mar 3 03:20:58 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I now have Debian working on the laptop I was given recently.

I had to go for a "retro" feel in the end because the machine couldn't
the file compression on a 2.4 kernel boot floppy. But kernel 2.2.20, a
"safe" rescue floppy & Debian Woody resulted in success.

I decided to go for Window Maker purely for nostalgia (not forgetting
either that I only have 1.3GB on this old Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS).

Woody even has a GUI Toshiba Utilities app.

My question: I need to replace the CMOS & Resume batteries, but I had to
admit I was beat after undoing several screws, still without the case
feeling like it was going to move easily. I decided against bold
experimentation with the use of force & in favour of asking if anyone
had any general tips on getting inside a laptop?

TIA for any help,

Gavin.