[Sussex] xev ?

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Mar 11 17:40:14 UTC 2006

John

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 17:02 +0000, John D. wrote:
> This months linux format, has a reply to someone who's asking about setting up
> multi button mice.

I have my mouse configured that way - but I might take a look at it more
closely as I have an extra button that I don't know what to do with yet.

> The response to the letter mentions using the command "xev" in a terminal when
> the window is active.

I know that command, I've been using it for years.

> My problem is that I'm getting "command not found" as both user and root.
>
> Is xev part of some sort of toolkit or similar ?

xev (X Event) is part of the standard X11 set.  I've been around ever
since I started playing with X11 - which is a go few years now (must be
something like 15).

On my Debian system it is installed in /usr/bin/X11 (but you can also
get to via /usr/X11R6/bin).  Are either of these in your path?