[Sussex] Laptop sound

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Mar 15 06:24:34 UTC 2006

Gavin

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 00:36 +0000, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Sound is working, but playing an mp3 file from the HDD results in a few
> seconds of music followed by slowness & stuttering thereafter. I have
> noticed that this is related to the size of the buffer, but different
> settings only delay the problem & don't eliminate it. I tried
> downsampling in XMMS & that worked, but it would be nice not to have to
> do that if possible. (NB: This is on a machine with the luxurious spec
> of P120 MHz, 48 MB EDORAM & 1.3GB HD, so I'm aware that not all things
> may be possible).

How are you playing the MP3 file?  If you are using a modern GUI based
player with lots and lots of graphic feed back (like a equaliser graphic
or a waveform display) this may be taking to much CPU power to work.

Which should deamon (if any are you using)?  If you use the command line
program to play the sound file does it skip then?

In other words is your saved laptop not up to the job of doing graphics
+ sound.

> Second problem is that I can't get audio CDs to play or mount, although
> data CDs are fine.

This might be a missing driver or two.