[Sussex] Laptop sound

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Fri Mar 17 08:37:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:57:31 +0000
Steven Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

<snip>
> I'm not sure that all laptops (esp early models) could play CDs.  I'm
> not sure there were the connections to send the audio signal from the
> player to the laptop's sound hardware.
</snip>

Use direct data feed instead of trying to play the CD directly.  XMMS
has a cdread plugin that lets you read the CD as data, which is then
interpreted and routed through to the sound hardware by XMMS. That way
all the CD needs to do is read the data.

I'm not sure about this point anyway.  I don't think you need a direct
link betwixt CD and sound card to play CDs - there have been several
occasions where I've put the little lead to do it in a 'safe place' and
consequently been unable to put it in.  Still was able to get CDs to
play though.

--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.