[Sussex] Suggestions for backup software

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Thu May 4 12:59:24 UTC 2006

Hi Colin

On Thu, 04 May 2006 09:08:04 +0100
Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org> wrote:

> I'm just beginning to look at this for backing up a server for a
> group of Windows users.

Have a peek at flexbackup - it'll apparently do windows machines via
smbmount.

> For very small systems (which mine is) it looks like a Travan tape
> drive and some clever scripts are all that is required.
>
> My server will be headless so I'm intending sending emails to a user
> asking for tape changes and reporting problems etc.

Having a problem with the drive in that it doesn't seem to stop at the
file blocks correctly.  If I do

tar cvf /dev/nht0 /dir1
tar cvf /dev/nht0 /dir2

then

mt rewind
tar xvf /dev/nht0

I get a directory listing of dir1 but then

debian3638:~# mt tell
At block 2.

I should be at block 1, surely?  Consequently another

tar xvf /dev/nht0

gives

debian3638:~# tar tvf /dev/nht0
debian3638:~#

However if I do

mt rewind
mt fsf 1
tar xvf /dev/nht0

I get a listing of dir2.

Any thoughts on why / how to fix it?

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.