[Sussex] Suggestions for backup software

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Thu May 4 14:07:16 UTC 2006

Ronan Chilvers wrote:

> Have a peek at flexbackup - it'll apparently do windows machines via
> smbmount.

I just spent a bit more time having a detailed look at flexbackup, starting
with a search for a Debian package for it.

What I found was a rather old and very buggy package thats been pulled from
testing because the bugs haven't been fixed.

Further searching turns up both SourceForge and a Freshmeat projects for it.
Neither of which have released any files since Oct 2003. There is some
traffic on the SF list for the project, mostly people reporting problems and
I couldn't see any responses from the developer.

Conclusion - it's no longer in development and is unsupported.

So, although it's worth looking at it has to be examined from the position
that you would have to support it and fix any bugs without help.

I might still take a look at it, and if it proves useful, the code isn't too
horrible and the bugs can be fixed then I might even adopt it.

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first, and
the lesson afterward. - Anonymous