[Sussex] Broadband at last

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Wed May 17 15:19:07 UTC 2006

One thing I do know about the broadband providers is that there is never
a problem using Linux. Of course the ISP support are normally
brainwashed so that they can only provide support for that other system,
but when I talk to them I find most of them are well aware of the
benefits of Linux and frequently they admit to being Linux users themselves.
If you use modem/router or router with ethernet then never a problem.
Mandriva supports many of the USB/soft modems, but I have experienced
how the use of these dramatically slow the slow computers. One example
was a 600meg celeron HP and it was slower than dial-up. Put in the
modem/router and whoopee we had speed!
Also I am not happy seeing people use broadband without the external
firewall, especially if they have Windows. Yes, Shorewall certainly
seems to stop the probes OK but, I would rather provide that extra
degree of isolation.