[Sussex] Broadband at last

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Fri May 19 07:28:33 UTC 2006

Hi Gavin

On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:24:24 +0100
Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net> wrote:

> > > Last night I downloaded the netinstall ISO for Debian Sarge
> > > (downloaded 111 MB in about 6 minutes) & I just need a pointer on
> > > the correct way to burn an ISO image onto a CD.

You can either use something like K3B which can burn the image to cd
for you or, if you're using gnome, you can right click on the image
file and choose to burn it to disc, or you can use the command line:

1. Do a

cdrecord -scanbus

as root to find the SCSI id of your drive.  Mine gives this (snipped):-

ronan at rncubuntu:~ $ sudo cdrecord -scanbus
Password:
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling

scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) '_NEC    ' 'DVD+-RW ND-6650A' '102C' Removable
CD-ROM 1,1,0   101) *

which tells me that the SCSI id of my CD burner is 1,0,0 (first three
numbers on the line after scsibus1).

2. Stick a CD in the drive and do

cdrecord -v dev=1,0 theimage.iso

replacing the 1,0 with whatever numbers you get from scanbus (you only
need the first 2 numbers) and the filename with the filename of your
iso image.  There are LOADS of options you can feed to cdrecord which
will control things like speed of writing, etc.  Have a look at the
examples section in the cdrecord man page.

That should do the trick.

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.