[Sussex] Proper plug & play

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sat May 27 00:31:50 UTC 2006

Hi all,

A very enjoyable moot last night.

I swapped the network cards round on my P3 850 machine & the old AMD
300, so the AMD box now has the older Intel card & the P3 has the new
Netgear card.

The pleasing result is that both machines are happy & just carried on as
if nothing had happened (except the AMD machine doesn't have the endless
error message it had before).

Now this, to my mind, is *proper* "plug & play" - where the thing just
works. I like that a lot.

The AMD 300 box now has Debian Sarge installed via the web & because I
chose the "Desktop Environment" during the installation it finished up
running Gnome, which wasn't my plan. However, it is running it rather
better than I would have expected & this is a PC with a 300MHz CPU &
128MB of RAM.

Debian rocks, but Debian plus broadband rocks even harder.

Gavin (going to bed very happy)