[Sussex] Marketing Taglines for BCF (was a Vista of Opportunity)

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Wed Nov 1 13:28:17 UTC 2006

Steve Dobson wrote:

> I think we need quotes from non-ubergeeks.

How about a quote from a marketing / sales person?

... that would be me, then :-)

> One thing we could do is get some laminated signs made up.  Two which
> say:

>    This PC is running Linux.
>       Go on give it a try.
>          We dare you.

Problem with this is that it appeals to the wrong market. The only people
that this will attract will be those who are already seriously considering
Linux...

... but they'll find you anyway without wasting stand space.

> and:

>      Get the power of the
>        penguin in your
>             PC

Again, this means nothing to people who aren't already Linux-aware. It is,
however, catchy, and may attract some passing "what's this about" interest.

> I also think a few quotes from our members might work out quite well.

>     I switched because I was feed up
>     of Windows crashing when I was
>     recording my music.
               Gavin S, Musican, Nutley

Excellent. This identifies a problem that people can relate to, and then
offers a solution.

See my suggestion at the bottom for how to expand on this.

>     I switched because I didn't like
>     Microsoft's asumption that I was
>     a theif.
>           Ronnie Briggs, Entrepreneur,
>                               Parkhurst

Again, identifies a problem - however I think that most people don't believe
/ know that Microsoft acts as if makes such assumptions.

What I'd suggest is a bunch of quotes along the lines of the Gavin one -
WITH photos of the people in question, with a common tag line at the bottom
of each like "another person to <b>make the switch to Linux</b>".

OK - time for some mental hacking here:

That tagline has what's called in NLP an "embedded command" - there are
different parts of the brain that parse things in slightly different ways,
and a lot of research to show that if you embed a COMMAND within a sentence
in a different style (such as bold), even though one part of the brain
parses the entire sentence "another person to make the switch to Linux",
there's also a part that just picks out the bold text "make the switch to
Linux".

Regards,

Mark