[Sussex] Marketing Taglines for BCF (was a Vista of Opportunity)

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Wed Nov 1 14:10:20 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: sussex-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:sussex-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of
linux at oneandoneis2.org
Sent: 01 November 2006 13:59
To: sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Sussex] Marketing Taglines for BCF (was a Vista of
Opportunity)

Quoting Mark Harrison <Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com>:

>>    This PC is running Linux.
>>       Go on give it a try.
>>          We dare you.
>
> Problem with this is that it appeals to the wrong market. The only people
> that this will attract will be those who are already seriously considering
> Linux...

> That's probably true, but if you replace it with "This computer is not
> running Windows" you could get a lot more interest, given how many
> people think that Windows is *it* when it comes to OSes. . . (Heard
> the one about the CS student who asked what version of Windows they
> were running UNIX on? ;o)

Is there interest in "not running Windows"?

It's like selling drills - people don't want drills, they want holes. The
drill is just (from a marketing perspective) an implementation question :-)

Strikes me people actually want:

- Computers that don't crash
- Computers that cost less
- Ability to read email / surf the net faster

Is there any way we could mock up a "head to head" of Internet explorer 6 on
Windows vs. Firefox on Linux on identical hardware? I suspect that the
"speed experience" would be compelling. However, it may be that getting
Internet connectivity in would be too problematicsl / expensive.

I've always felt that one of the problems with the Linux community was that
there was a lot of focus on things that people "ought to want" - freedom as
in free, and so on... and not enough on what people "actually want".

My take would be to hook them with what they ACTUALLY want, then once
they're hooked, introduce the other issues.

Mark