[Sussex] Marketing Taglines for BCF (was a Vista of Opportunity)

Neil Simmons nasimmons at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 14:17:05 UTC 2006

> Strikes me people actually want:
>
> - Computers that don't crash
> - Computers that cost less
> - Ability to read email / surf the net faster
>
> Is there any way we could mock up a "head to head" of Internet explorer 6 on
> Windows vs. Firefox on Linux on identical hardware? I suspect that the
> "speed experience" would be compelling. However, it may be that getting
> Internet connectivity in would be too problematicsl / expensive.
>
> I've always felt that one of the problems with the Linux community was that
> there was a lot of focus on things that people "ought to want" - freedom as
> in free, and so on... and not enough on what people "actually want".
>
> My take would be to hook them with what they ACTUALLY want, then once
> they're hooked, introduce the other issues.

My feeling about this above is that you're kind-of on the right lines,
but not 100%.

The thing is - for most people doing the usual things, they don't
necessarily recognise that a machine HAS crashed.

And if they already have a machine, then they've paid for it already
so cheaper might not be a key driver...

Faster is, IMO, sort-of where I would go with my advertising/marketing
approach...

I think the key thing you could use is CLEANER. No more popups, porn
stuff or viruses. The stuff that hangs and slows a PC, or gets John
Middle-England in trouble coz of porn popups his wife sees, or webpage
redirects his kids get sent to...

I think if you were to leave out the OS type itself and consider
selling the concept of a cleaner experience without the crapware, and
without having to buy licences for Norton and so on, that might
generate interest. The moment you start mentioning the name of the OS,
you risk falling into any of the 'geekOS' objections.

Neil