[Sussex] Marketing Taglines for BCF (was a Vista of Opportunity)

linux at oneandoneis2.org linux at oneandoneis2.org
Wed Nov 1 14:30:25 UTC 2006

Quoting Mark Harrison <Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com>:
>>>    This PC is running Linux.
>>>       Go on give it a try.
>>>          We dare you.
>>
>> Problem with this is that it appeals to the wrong market. The only people
>> that this will attract will be those who are already seriously considering
>> Linux...
>
>> That's probably true, but if you replace it with "This computer is not
>> running Windows" you could get a lot more interest, given how many
>> people think that Windows is *it* when it comes to OSes. . . (Heard
>> the one about the CS student who asked what version of Windows they
>> were running UNIX on? ;o)
>
> Is there interest in "not running Windows"?

Possibly not, but people are curious - a sign saying "Try a PC without
Windows" would, to many people, be like a sign saying "Drive a car
without wheels" - they're going to want to take a look just to find
out how it's done.

Of course, I've not been to a BCF yet, so it may well be that you
don't get such non-technical people there. But the average man on the
street generally doesn't stick with Windows because he doesn't like
the alternative, but because he doesn't even know there *is* an
alternative.

It's easy for geeks to forget/not realize just how much "normal"
people don't know about computers. But last time I talked about
hardware to my dad, he was surprised that there was such a thing as a
CPU that wasn't made by Intel. And he's had Macs sitting in his office
for the last decade or so. Same goes for OSes: You have to get people
to realize there *is* a choice before you can talk them into *making*
a choice