[Sussex] NAS Portable Storage

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Fri Nov 3 11:49:33 UTC 2006

Hi folks

I'm looking around for a HDD enclosure that I can stick a 3.5" drive
into that you can plug into the network.  I don't really want to shell
out for a full NAS solution and will probably end up going for just a
USB enclosure, but it would be nice if the enclosure had an embedded NAS
doodah too.  There's one on this page called the 'Sumvision 3.5" IDE to
Nas/USB HDD Encloser' (third from the bottom):

http://www.sumvision.com.cn/results_pages.asp?product_type=37

(Ebuyer sells some of they're gear) Anyone know of a similar beastie?  The
idea is to stick a 250GB drive into it and use it as 1./ a backup NAS drive
and b./ a local apt mirror. Got inspired by Alan's groovy article (nice
one Alan) about apt-mirror:

http://www.popey.com/Creating_an_Ubuntu_repository_mirror_with_apt-mirror

I know there's FreeNAS but I want something very portable and
(hopefully) cheap.

I guess one solution would be to buy a micro PC. That way I could use
freenas or even a full install of something - more pricey though...

Anyone?
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.