[Sussex] NAS Portable Storage

Pat Reed patreed at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 3 19:04:07 UTC 2006

Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm looking around for a HDD enclosure that I can stick a 3.5" drive
> into that you can plug into the network.  I don't really want to shell
> out for a full NAS solution and will probably end up going for just a
> USB enclosure, but it would be nice if the enclosure had an embedded NAS
> doodah too.  There's one on this page called the 'Sumvision 3.5" IDE to
> Nas/USB HDD Encloser' (third from the bottom):
>
> http://www.sumvision.com.cn/results_pages.asp?product_type=37
>
> (Ebuyer sells some of they're gear) Anyone know of a similar beastie?  The
> idea is to stick a 250GB drive into it and use it as 1./ a backup NAS drive
> and b./ a local apt mirror. Got inspired by Alan's groovy article (nice
> one Alan) about apt-mirror:
>
> http://www.popey.com/Creating_an_Ubuntu_repository_mirror_with_apt-mirror
>
> I know there's FreeNAS but I want something very portable and
> (hopefully) cheap.
>
> I guess one solution would be to buy a micro PC. That way I could use
> freenas or even a full install of something - more pricey though...
>
> Anyone?

You did say cheap, so when similarly stuck, I turned out an external CD
player enclosure, bought a plasticy thing designed to mount a floppy
drive in a 5 1/4" drive slot , mounted the hard drive instead of a
floppy, screwed the plastic mount to the cd drive screw holes and sealed
the end to keep the dust out. The case is aluminium by Canyon, has a
fan,albeit only 37mm across and usb2 out. Surely an old computer someone
has written off, is your best bet at getting ethernet out.
Pat Reed