[Sussex] external hard drives - much confusion.

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Nov 4 17:25:56 UTC 2006

Hi list,

The external hard drive case that I'd ordered finally turned up. Excellent.

It's one of the many that says it only supports windows and mac.

By going through the instructions, I've been trying to get some idea how to
make the damn thing work. Without any luck.

If I try to connect it via USB, I can see, by doing "tail /var/log/messages"
that it appears to be seen as a scsi emulated device on one of the USB ports
but nothing else.

I've tried having the jumper on the back of the HDD set in both master/slave,
cable select and not having one on it at all.

If I connect it with ethernet, I have absolutely no idea how to see if the
system can see it or not - it does, apparently, have a default IP address,
but it doesn't seem to matter what I try from the instructions, a browser
just kicks out an error message.

Can anyone advise me, as to how I might get this working ?

regards

John D.