[Sussex] external hard drives - much confusion.

ar at f2s.com ar at f2s.com
Sat Nov 4 22:49:01 UTC 2006

John

I don't have your drive's model number but I recall most of the listings claimed
support for CIFS(SMB) and FTP.  The ubuntu live CDs include smb and ftp client
support, so an easy way to check the drive would be to connect by ethernet,
spin up the CD and see if it shows up under Places|Network.  If so you could
try browsing to ftp://<IPofHD> (not http://<same>).

Or add a line to fstab as described earlier but trying cifs or smbfs in place of
vfat, then mount it.  Mind you I'm a bit hazy on exactly how it's meant to work
- would this last be OK using either connection (USB/ethernet)?

Anthony

PS is Steve simply saying to take care to unmount automounted or hotpluggable
devices, or should they be handled in a different way?  TIA.