[Sussex] external hard drives - much confusion.

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Nov 4 23:17:04 UTC 2006

John

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 21:38 +0000, John D. wrote:
> I did the suggestion and initially it gave me some errors and I had to make
> the /dev/sda1 bootable for it to write to the partition table - not sure what
> thats all about, so.........

When you parition the disk you need to give it the disk device
  /dev/sda  <---- Note no number

> When I issued the second command I'm not getting some indication that it's
> formatting the disc as per the command (Writing inode tables etc etc), yes
> it's proving very slow - but I suppose thats to be expected with USB 1.1 -
> which is why I really want to get it working via ethernet. Not scathingly
> fast, but still quicker than the USB standard that I've got available.
>
> I'll be round to the BCF tomorrow.

If you're comming to the BCF tomorrow then I would recommed that you get
yourself a USB 2 PCI card - that will help a lot with the speed and be
much easier than getting it set up as a NAS disk.

Still, we can have a look tomorrow.