[Sussex] Home Automation and Ethernet over powerline

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Fri Nov 10 15:42:02 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I know that there's a few of you on this list who play around with HA,
so I thought I ask for some advice.

I'm setting up a HA system using plutohome (http://www.plutohome.com)
- a debian-based linux home-automation system that uses PXEbooting for
the clients in each room.

I don't own my house, so drilling holes in walls is out of the
question, however I'm thinking about using Ethernet Over Powerline
tech to move my data from room to room.  My questions are:

0) Has anyone played with EOPL?
1) Is it fast enough for media to be streamed over it (DVDs/Movies/Music etc)?
2) Are there any Gotchas that I chould be aware of?
3) Can you use X10 hardware on the same mains ring?
4) Can I plug EOPL devices into surge-protected power splitters, or do
I need to plug them straight into the mains?

All advice greatfully recieved,

Cheers,

Matt
--