[Sussex] Home Automation and Ethernet over powerline

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 10:33:35 UTC 2006

Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org> writes:
>

>>> Straight into the ring main, without using a power strip.
>>>
>> A power strip is just extension wiring, it shouldn't make any
>> difference.
>>

> It does.
>
> I have 3 of these devices in my house. I have one plugged into a
> power strip and that is very unreliable.
>
> Someone told me that this was because the line was "too clean" but
> I've no idea whether that was bs or not.

I've designed power circuitry, for medical research. A lot of power
strips with surge protection, etc. have a bit of capacitive filtering on
them as part of the surge protection and to reduce signals from
appliances (such as computers!) being fed back down the power lines or
interfering with other devices on the same strips and causing
fascinating groundn loop problems. And there are *ALWAYS* signal losses
on the actual power circuitry between rooms, which often travels by some
amazingly circuitous routes with some very odd signal characteristics.
These can be especially bad on a poor quality and overloaded power
strip, where the thin wires just present too high an impedance to carry
sensitive signals and the other locally plugged in devices present a
too-low impedance pathway for the signals to pass down.

Whether this is what's happening in your setup is something that can be
investigated with a good low-capacitance, high-voltage capable
oscilloscope. But those aren't cheap: doing some plug it in, try it
without a power strip in the way, etc. sort of testing is easy and
reasonably safe.